Breads | Baking, Budget-minded, Entertaining, Holiday, Kid Friendly | Pasta & Grains
SERVES 8 - START TO FINISH: 40 minutes, 25 minutes unattended baking time
*A 8x8 metal or glass baking pan may be substituted, but will not provide the same great crust a cast iron skillet will.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup plain yellow corn meal (not cornbread or meal mix)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 cups milk
1. Oil a 9-inch cast iron skillet* with the tablespoon of oil, covering bottom and sides well. Place skillet in a cold oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter and milk.
3. When oven is preheated, carefully remove the skillet and set aside. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir just until mixed, about 15 to 20 strokes.
4. Pour batter into hot skillet, smooth top and carefully place in oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until cornbread is lightly golden and springs back when touched.
5. Remove and serve. Cornbread is best within the first 24 hours of baking.
Approximate Values Per serving: 194 calories (32% from fat), 7 g fat (3 g saturated), 57 mg cholesterol, 5.5 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 1.6 g dietary fiber, 349 mg sodium
Related Posts from the Blog
Our Cookbooks rock!
What you're saying..
I work second shift and I prepare my "lunch" from Cheap. Fast. Good! each morning to take in. Everyone comments on how fantastic the meals I bring in smell. I have to hide in the corner so I don't get accosted! I have yet to prepare one of the dishes that I do not like and I don't have to spend a fortune on healthy, fantastic-tasting meals.
Have a question?
We hope you'll tell us, but we hope you'll ASK us, too! Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll try to find the answers.