Super Lemon Bars
Desserts | Baking, Entertaining, Holiday | Eggs & Dairy, Fruits
SERVES about 16 bars - START TO FINISH: 1 hour 15 minutes, including inactive time
Note: A mixer with a paddle and whisk attachment provides the best results, but a standard mixer will also work
Super Lemon Bars
For the crust:
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt
For the filling:
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
½ cup flour
powdered sugar for dusting
1. To prepare the pan, lightly butter the bottom of an 8x8x2 square baking pan. Line the pan with a sheet of parchment paper that rises on only two sides. Butter the top of this sheet and then crosswise, line with another sheet of paper that rises on the opposite sides. Trim the extra paper even with the top of the dish to prevent any fire hazard. These sheets will form “a hammock” to lift the entire dessert out of the pan after cooling.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For the crust, cream together the butter and sugar using the paddle attachment of an electric mixer. With the mixer on low, add the flour and salt and combine until the butter is just mixed. Using floured hands, shape the dough into a ball and press it into the bottom of the prepared pan. Flatten to the edges. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes, or until light gold. Remove from the oven, leaving oven on.
3. While the crust is baking, using the whisk attachment for the mixer, whisk together on high speed the eggs and granulated sugar for two minutes until light yellow and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium low and add the lemon juice, zest, and flour and mix well. Pour the filling over the warm crust and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the center is set and only very slightly jiggles. Remove to a warm rack and cool to room temperature.
4. Grasp the paper sides at the edge of the baking dish and remove the bars from the pan by pulling up gently. The entire dessert should easily come away from the pan. Transfer to a cutting board and, using a clean knife, cut into squares, wiping knife after each cut. Place a small amount of confectioners' sugar into a small sieve, and sprinkle the bars with the sugar. Serve immediately, or refrigerate, wrapped with plastic wrap, up to 2 days, until ready to serve.
Super Lemon Bars
Approximate Values Per Serving (based on 16 bars): 169 calories , 7g fat (4g saturated), 62 mg cholesterol, 3 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, trace dietary fiber, 68 mg sodium
Related Posts from the Blog
Our Cookbooks rock!
What you're saying..
Kudos and Plaudits to you! I have tried many of your recipes with success but I must say your Scrumptious Crock Pot Beef Stew was OUTSTANDING!!! I've made it many times since it appeared in the paper and each time it's a big hit and I love it even more (great leftover too).
I've learned to do all the prepping/chopping the night before so that all I have to do is the layering/assembling in the morning. I have upgraded a tad and use sirloin steak strips cut up when I can get them on sale......YUMMMMM!
So, thanks again for sharing your recipe. I know I'll be making this for eons to come!
- Loie Angelsten of Holden, MA
Have a question?
We hope you'll tell us, but we hope you'll ASK us, too! Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll try to find the answers.